Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Promise

I am not your typical girl.  I don't enjoy shopping.  I don't wear makeup.  I rarely wear dresses.  I don't wear jewelry.  I've never had my ears pierced.  I've only had one pedicure in my life (thanks, Kristina!).  I'm very low-maintenance, easy-going, not-easily-flustered, wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) kind of girl.  That's not to say I don't take care of myself, I just do it in a "Mer" kind of way.

I've been a "tom-boy" through and through my whole life.  When other girls were playing dress up or Barbie, I was playing with Transformers and G.I. Joe's.  Granted, most of my friends back then were boys.  Man, I lived on the best street EVER!  It was a cul-de-sac and there were a ton of neighborhood kids.  My friends and I would create ramps and jump our BMX bikes over them.  Or my friend Steven and I would fill up his sandbox full of water and play it in!  (We used to get in trouble for doing that!  But it was so much fun!)  Good times.  

Somewhere along the line, it became unacceptable to be who I've always been.  That is, I would get made fun of for doing things differently than others.  Though, I've been made fun of all my life; so this was nothing new.  People have consistently tried to change me to fit their perfect mold.  But they quickly realized, "God broke the mold when He made me!"  I don't conform.  I never have, probably never will.  That's not to say I'm a rebel with a cause or anything like that.  I'm just me.  Through and through.  Me.

Though, I'm still figuring out who "me" is.  I continue to amaze myself on a day-by-day basis.  It's like I've been one way for so long that to change seems too daunting.  Dare I say the "I" word?  Impossible.  But through Him ALL things are possible.  In Mark 10:27, Jesus says, "With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God." (ESV)

Did you read that last sentance or just skip over it?  "For ALL things are possible with God."  Amazing, huh?  Honestly, my finite, human mind can't even begin to wrap understanding around that concept!  The neat thing is, I don't really have to get it, as long as I trust that He does.  Imagine the possibilities though.... if ALL things are possible with God, then couldn't we perform modern-day miracles as the disciples did back in Bible times?  Could the sick become healed?  Deaf, hear?  Blind, see?  The possibilities are endless!

The thing is, we are so BUSY being BUSY that although these opportunities might present themselves to us now, we blow right pass them!  Believe me, I'm guilty of it too!  It's funny... actually, let me rephrase that.  God's funny.  On the way home, I was thinking about what I'd write about today. I decided I'd talk about how un-girly I am, but I recently started becoming more girly; slowly, but surely.  But as soon as I began to write, God took over and directly me in another way entirely. 

Do you remember that song from Sunday School, "I Am A Promise"??  It popped into my head while writing just now.  I learned this song a long, long time ago!  It just goes to show you never know what kids are actually learning! Check out this video I found.  It's priceless!



Isn't that great?!?  (I cracked up laughing when they did the chorus line kicks!)  So the lesson of today:  Don't sell yourself short!  Remember you're a great big, bursting bundle of potential to do anything with Him!

No comments: