Friday, November 6, 2009

"As Long As We're Being Honest"

TGIF! 

I didn't necessarily have any work to do today, so I figured I'd be proactive and find something to do.  I realized I hadn't gone through "Shipped But Awaiting Payment" invoices in about a month or two, so I was way behind.  I forget to work on those, since everything else is forefront in my mind.  But on slow days like today, it's the perfect time to immerse myself in Accounts Receivable Land.  It always takes a lot of research to make sure people/companies have or haven't paid us, then follow a bunch of other steps from there.  Again, I'm not going to bore you with all the details, but let's just say, it took me 8 hours to wade through the muck.  But, I got a lot done and feel as though a lot was accomplished today.

I was texting my friend KP around lunchtime telling her my day was pretty boring and I didn't think I'd have anything to write about yet.  She said, "Yet is the key word.  LOL it's only 1 your time."  How true she was!  I actually got so busy, I didn't go to lunch until 3pm! 

While I was out, I ran a quick errand for envelopes to CVS.  I remember thinking the girl behind the counter looked kinda sad.  I was eager to make my purchase and go eat lunch, but instead I had a funny conversation with her:

She asked, "How are you?" 

I answered, "Honestly, tired.  How about you?" 

She said, "As long as we're being honest, I'm ready to go home." 

"Oh really?", I answered, "What time do you get off?"

She said with a huge sigh, "5".

I said, "I don't get off until 6, if that makes you feel any better."

"No, not really," she said. "Where do you work?"

I always hesitate when I answer this question, because I always get the same reaction.  Disbelieve.  Dumbfound.  Double-take.  Blank stare.  I begin in vague terms, "In Vestavia for a really small company."  But I quickly realized she was thirsty for more details, "I know this is going to sound crazy, but I work for SUPERMAGNETMAN.  We sell magnets literally all over the world.  From ity-bitty to large ones for all types of applications."  She starred at me, like a deer caught in headlights with her mouth slightly agape.  In my head I heard crickets chirping.

She recovered fairly quickly and asked, "What about car magnets?"

I said, "Well, not technically, we can sell the sheets of rubber which you could use on your car."

"But, do you sell the ones with writing for your car?", she asked again.

Realizing she hadn't listened to a word I'd said, I stopped gathering my purchases, "You know, I think I have a business card here.  Why don't you check out our website for yourself.  If you have any questions about anything, my emails on the front."  I don't think she was expecting that answer as I got another chorus round of crickets.

As I was walking out the door, I smiled and thought to myself of the interesting situations I get myeslf into.  Sure, from the very beginning I could have given the same old boring answer, "I'm fine. How are you?"  But then I would have missed out on that odd fascinating unique interesting conversation.  Personally, I've always had the mentality of WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).  Why pretend to be something you're not?  Sure, I'm not always myself, but I do tend to give the unexpected answer, which leads to different moments of possibility.  I figure it's a moment in some strangers day when they had interaction with someone who actually cared what their response was. 

I knew the moment that sentance left her mouth, "As long as we're being honest", I'd be writing about the time I spent with her for today's post.  I find it interesting what opportunities God will drop in my lap when I'm looking for them.  My Mom says I've never met a stranger; which is true, although interestingly, I'm also quite shy.  So, there's a fine line between the two. 

I suppose the lesson for today is, expect the unexpected.  You can't make a difference by never stepping outside of what you know to be comfortable.

2 comments:

d$ said...

This is a fabulous post, McQ. This has to be one of my favorites.

Poet4Him77 said...

Dave,
Wow! Really? Thank you so much! That means a lot!