Tuesday, September 18, 2007

VOTD: I’m a Flintstone Kid

I have something stiring within me, trying to escape from the caverns of my brain, onto the page of this site. But it's not ready yet. I need to do more thinking and research. Until then, however, I wanted to share an old VOTD (verse of the day) I wrote last year.


VOTD: I’m a Flintstone Kid
June 1, 2006

“Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.” Philippians 4:11-14 (The Message)

I have a lot of time to think while driving. I live far (at least 40 minutes away) from everything I do: work, small group, exercising, and hanging out with friends, etc. If you ever see me alone in the car, just jabbering away, then I’m usually talking to God and/or myself… or just singing at the top of my lungs. Recently, I was listening to Casting Crowns and God planted a seed, which I’ve been mulling over for about a month. (Come on now, you should have known a song inspired this votd!) Honestly, God most often speaks to me through music.

I was listening to “In Me” when the chorus reminded me of the older (80’s) TV commercial for Flintstone vitamins. [You know the one: “We're the Flintstones Kids, Ten million strong, and growing.”] Only Casting Crown’s chorus really struck a chord deep in me. Read for yourself:

“‘Cause when I'm weak, You make me strong
When I'm blind you shine Your light on me
'Cause I'll never get by living on my own ability
How refreshing to know You don't need me
How amazing to find that you want me
So I'll stand on Your Truth, and I'll fight with Your Strength
Untill You bring the victory, by the power of Christ in me”
--- “In Me” by Casting Crowns


Honestly, this chorus is chalked full of goodness, but the part that gets me every time I hear it: “How refreshing to know You don’t need me, How amazing to find that you want me”. I mean, think about that for a moment. The Creator of the Universe doesn’t need our help to do anything, yet He wants it!

Recently a “storm” has blown into the harbors of many of my friends, myself included. It feels completely unexpected, but we’re all having to just TRUST that God’s got us in the palm of His hand. Nothing is a surprise to Him. Pretty astounding, huh? Since before time began, He knew about whatever situation you might be in. If only we had the foresight to look at storms as opportunities of growth.

I think God often uses us despite our weaknesses, more likely because of them. Look at the characters in the Bible: Moses killed a man, but God used him to deliver His people from slavery; David committed adultery and had Bathsheba’s husband killed, but God still called him a man after God’s own heart; and maybe even the best example, Paul had thousands of Christians killed, but then God used Him to write a good portion of the New Testament. If God can use the Hero’s of our Faith to teach us stuff about our lives, then don’t you think that God too can use us?

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Meredith,
This post hits so close to home for me. I just have to say, "Amen". The thought that God could use me in any way astounds me, yet the hope is there because I know that it is based on His credibility and perfect competence, and not the lack that I have.

I'm interested to see what is coming up in your blog! :)

Poet4Him77 said...

Stacey,
Thank you so much for you ever present encouragement. Already I'm learning gently about Him through your words. I like how you intertwine lessons with what's going on in your every day life. That's the most powerful, I think.

I'm really so glad you were blessed by this post. I felt it a "cop out" by posting something I'd written more than a year ago, but rereading it last night, I thought, "Wow!" Maybe others need to be reminded of this too.