Tuesday, September 11, 2007

...6 Years Later

I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about what day it is today. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sleeping in, as I didn't have class that day, and my mom comes crashing into my bedroom to tell me the news. She told me a plane just crashed into the Twin Towers. In my sleepy stupor, I thought I was either dreaming or she was playing a trick on me. But, before she left my room, she turned my TV on.... and there before my eyes, was a sight I'll never forget. Frankly, I don't want to tell you what I saw. We've all seen it. We all have witnesed the horror. Even as I write these words, my eyes are filling with tears...

On a day like today, it really puts things into perspective. War has always been in another country, making it harder to really feel the heartache associated with it. But September 11th changed all that.

For the record, I'm so PROUD of our Armed Forces! We are free today because of their sacrifices, not only from the past, but also those who serve in Iraq right now. THANK YOU SO MUCH. I know you all aren't thanked nearly enough. Thank you for all you do, every day. You matter.

This morning on the radio, they had a play-by-play timeline of the events six years ago. As I washing my hair, I just began to cry. Cried for those who died and for the families they left behind. I can't imagine what that must have been like and frankly, I don't want to. Do you remember in the days following, time was so precious with family. The world really did stop turning... we stopped being so busy and just enjoyed the people we loved most. Wonder why it takes a tragedy for that to occur?

So, six years later, what's different? The optimist in me hopes that this tragedy didn't scar us for life, instead give us the strength to do what needs to be done. We remember the courage and the bravery of those on Flight 93. Would we have done the same? I hope. I think we honor them by living our life to the fullest. They wouldn't want us to continue to mourn them, but rather, get on with our lives. By the sheer fact we continue to thrive as a country only speaks to the determination of our resolve.

God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood
If tomorrow all the things were gone
I'd worked for all my life,
And I had to start again
with just my children and my wife,
I'd thank my lucky stars
to be living here today,
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
and they can't take that away.

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota
to the hills of Tennessee,
Across the plains of Texas
from sea to shining sea.
From Detroit down to Houston
and New York to L.A.,
There's pride in every American heart
and it's time we stand and say:

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

No comments: