Thursday, August 21, 2008

What a Mighty Fine Day

Let's talk about my crazy day, shall we?

I set my alarm early, with the intention of getting up early (obviously), so I could get to Starbucks for a special treat. However, when I looked at the clock this morning, it was after 8:00!! The first words out of my mouth were, "CRAP!" I threw my covers back and took the fastest shower of my life. I was still late to work, but surprisingly, not very. No Starbucks for Mer.

I haven't been at work too long, when I'm sent on my first errand of the day. My poor coworker has a double ear and sinus infection. (Hello! Why aren't you home in bed?) So, my boss asked me to go fill her prescription. I was actually able to get three things done, in one feld swoop. Her drugs. Deposit a check. And, get a peppermint mocha at Starbucks! Yeah!

I get back and dig into work. Unlike most mortgage companies around town, we are SLAMMED! From day to day, I never know what my day will look like, but I'll most certainly be busy. Example, over the course of about four days total, I stuffed 700 envelopes. Yes, you read that right. 700!! I edited, printed and folded the letters... Separated all the magnets... Stacked the letter and magnet together for ease of stuffing... ran the envelopes through the postage machine (that alone took a few hours!)... Stuffed them... taped them all closed... and finally put address labels on. That didn't even include all my other random work.

My second 'errand' is to go pick up lunch. Since I haven't made it back to Walmart since my last debacle, I've been eating out. Spending money like I had some. Ha That's besides the point. Since I helped my coworker with that mailing, he said he'd buy my lunch for the next while. So, I picked Jason's Deli for lunch. I have a new favorite there: Chicken Club Wrapini with fruit on the side. Ohmygoodness. So yummy. Usually, whoever picks the place, has to pick up the food. I'm not sure how that started, but that seems to be how it works. Although, come to think of it, I'm pretty much the designated food getter. Which has its perks, but often, just a pain in the patootie.

Craziness ensues after lunch. The phones ringing off the hook. I'm copying large files, one after the other. Many things are going on and I'm in the thick of it, when my boss says, 'Hey, you want a drink?' 'Sure, I say.' (Which usually means he or someone else wants one and doesn't want to go get it.) He plops down I'd say around $3 in quarters. His underlining expression is that he wants me to drop everything I'm doing and go get. I don't "obey" immediately and he comes back to check on me and gives me this 'look'. "I'm leaving," I say. Good grief. So, that makes errand number 3 for the day.

I felt like I was out of the office more than I was in it today. Not sure, but I think I used 1/4 tank of gas! Geez.

Oh, I forgot to mention. My router arrived at work some point in the day. My first thought was, "Oh man, I hope this works." Surprisingly, when I first get home, I didn't race upstairs to try it out. Instead, I cleaned up my car some. I've been meaning to clean the windows for a while now. I put washer fluid in the car and RainX'd the windshield. I also armoraled (is that a real verb?) all the leather parts in my car. Now, I just need to vacuum it out and give it a bath.

Back to the router. I'm not going to go into all the details, as it'll just frustrate and make me mad all over again. But let's just say, my apprehension from the other night came to fruition. Dang it. I broke down and called Tech support.

Why in the world are all the options leading up to speaking with a human, in perfect English, but once you reach a human, it's someone from India? Please, answer me this question?!?!?!?!?!? I understand the need to save money, but please, give me a break! Are you really doing the American public a service by making everyone mad who calls for help? There's GOT TO BE a better way!!! I mean, seriously. OK, I'll get off my soapbox for tonight.

I'm talking with this woman in India. I'm speaking as clearly as possible. Spelling things out, using names for letters, so she'll know what I mean. (M for Mandy. E for Elephant. R for Richard. E for, well you get the idea. But I have 16 letters in my first and last name, so this 'game' went on for a while.) Once we she had my name down, I began to tell her about my problem. Which, by the way, I explained to her AT LEAST THREE different times. Each time, she'd come back and tell me the very same things. Ohmygosh. I thought I was going to scream. I finally said, "Ma'am, you aren't listening to me. This is getting me absolutely no where. Hope you have a good night." CLICK!! I am not easily angered, but whew buddy, this pushed me over the edge!

I unplugged everything and walked away... and called my mom. haha Then made dinner, chocolate chip pancakes and watched Olympics. Which leads me to now, 1:04am. I should have been asleep about an hour or two ago. Oh, this is funny, I was fast forwarding through commercials and I fell asleep. LOL Thankfully, I wasn't out long. Ok, off to bed for me.

Happy trails!

1 comment:

FoxMcLeod said...

Oh, Mer. You are too funny. Hahaha. And, Yes, I have met you! I do want to do that artist circle so much, but I feel like I barely have enough time to even cook a meal or clean the house. However, that shouldn't stop us from getting together and doing something creative and working on your book.