Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Fish Flop

I like to experiment with food. I'm known for throwing things together and making great meals out them. Well, on this quest to learn how to make different food items, I ventured into fish tonight. How can you go wrong?, I asked myself. I'd seen my mom do it a million times. I even got fancy and "rolled" the fish in some bread crumbs with garlic mixed in. I followed all the directions, which, I'll admit, I have issues doing. I'm constantly leaving out an important detail. But all I had to do, was stick it in the oven. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes. While that was cooking, I made some the THE best rice, Mahatma. It was actually one of the first things I bought when I moved out, um, a year ago. It's OK, rice lasts forever.

The fish finished cooking and I tried a bite just to make sure. It tasted a little strange, but I didn't think anything of it. It just needs some ketchup, I told myself. (I eat ketchup on all kinds of crazy things.) I was so proud of myself. From being so hungry and thinking about getting fast food, because it's "easier", to creating this whole, healthy meal from basically nothing. I even took a picture, see... Looks good, doesn't it?


Alas, I bite into it and I had the overwhelming urge to throw up. But I told myself I was over reacting. I continued to chew but it tasted as though I was digesting the ocean. Literally like I'd just pulled this fish straight from the salty water! I maybe exaggerating some, but it was yucky! I couldn't take it and spit it out! TMI?

I called my mom to get the scoop on tilapida. She says she basically drowns the poor fishy in herbs and spices. Now she tells me. Thank goodness for the yummy rice or I would have been really dissapointed!! The fishy went bye-bye into the garbage. Does anyone have a better way to season/cook fish? I'd love to hear it!

Thomas Edison said, "I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Mark my words... Fish and I will have another day in the kitchen.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Meredith,
I put tilapia filets in a frying pan with olive oil, cook each side on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes each side (extra for a thick cut). Then I sprinkle on a little creole seasoning.

But as for the filet mignon I tried a couple of weeks ago - that is a different story. Let's just say my smoke detectors are in good working order!

Oh, yeah - I did OD on chocolate - and I paid for it today by feeling extra crummy!

Poet4Him77 said...

I will have to try that next time. I usually love fish and was so surprised by the sea water in my mouth. haha

Oh my!! That sounds like a story! A similar thing happened to my family at the beach this summer. Took a few days to air out the house!

Oh man, sorry you felt crummy today. Does it make you feel better to know that I made a bisquick buiscut with chocolate chips tonight? It was so yummy.

Anonymous said...

I've gotta agree with Stacey about the olive oil and pan... I put a little lemon-pepper OR salt/ pepper/ garlic seasoning on the fish as well. Creole would probably be good, though!

I can relate to messing up a meal... I can't even count the number of times I have! I put a casserole in the oven this week minus one ingredient. I had to take it out and mix the mushrooms in, thereby ruining the top that once was going to be parmesan cheese.

It was yummy, anyway. Not good for you at all, but yummy.

Poet4Him77 said...

Erin! Thanks for the comment! Good to know others mess up from time to time as well! Feeling rejected from that meal, I fell back on something I never mess up. But oh boy, who would have thought one little thing like Ritz crackers could really make *that* much difference in Poppy Seed Chicken. But oh yes, it does!! Needless to say, not the best I've ever had, but still edible.

Poet4Him77 said...

Stacey, I thought of you when I had a sucessful fish meal preperation the other night. Granted. I did nothing but unwrap the flounder and put it on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. But hey, much better outcome than my previous venture! :)