Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Confession Is Good For the Soul

I have a confession to make....

I'm really bad at following directions, specifically those which tell me to do something and I have to follow through. Like a recipe. Oh, don't even get me started on that! I'm not sure what happens in the time that I read something and then have to act on it. I've never been very good at reading comprehension, but I realized something REALLY funny tonight. At least, it's hilarious to me.

They YMCA is having a contest right now. If you work out 19 times from Thanksgiving until January 1st and you are among the first 15 people, then you win a free T-shirt! Last night, as I'm waiting for the previous class to finish, I notice this board on the windows. I read it a couple times, just to make sure I was reading it right. I even asked Jan at the front desk. No one else had signed up yet and I was unsure about being the first.

Well, I just got through listening to Beth Moore's Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman, session 4 (more about that later) and it was all about bravery. So I marched up to that window and proudly wrote my name on the first blank, along with a "J". (It's spells out something that equals 19 characters, of course, I can't remember it right now.) I walked away feeling proud of myself.

Tonight, it was the first thing I did. I walked right in and put an "I" next to the "J" and saw that not only had no one else come in today (yeah, I'm already winning), but that the whole chart is now filled (with "J's" next to their names) and my name was first! I thought it odd that no one else had come in today, but I figured with it being almost a Holiday, people were just out buying last minute items.

I listened to the end of Session 4 while I walked for 35 minutes. Then I moved into the weight room, where I proceeded to dutifully complete all my machines; even the ones that hurt a lot! Even the ones I hate the most! Even the ones that make me breathe like I'm going into labor. Oh yes, I did them all. While I'm going through Lamaze class, doing the bicep curl, I look to the information board to see what's going on. It's then that I realize my ginormous mistake! Ohmygoodness! The contest doesn't start until AFTER Thanksgiving, the 28Th. I'm such a goober!!

Yes, I have trouble with reading comprehension, but apparently so does everyone else who blindly followed my example. Goes to show you, that just because it looks like you got things going on, doesn't always mean that's the case! What's the expression? The blind leading the blind.

No comments: