Monday, February 9, 2009

The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

My friend Emily told me about this program, "The Couch-to-5K Running Plan". I gotta admit, I'm pretty skeptical. But, I'm also willing to give it a go. Tonight was my first night to do cardio since I was sick... and I loved it! Who would have thought that I'd enjoy cardio? Oh certainly not me! I put on my special play list, "I Am Jason Bourne", and get working pumping blood to and from my heart. (Funny story behind this play list. My boss said that when he runs, he tells himself that he's Jason Bourne and it helps him go longer. So, I created a play list that had a bunch of heart pounding music, from artists like: Linkin Park, Toby Mac, Foo Fighters, Yellowcard, Thousand Foot Krutch, etc.)

I mostly stuck to the plan (see above link). I did warm up for 5 minutes, but then I tweaked it a little. I'd walk briskly for three minutes, then jog for thirty seconds. Walk three, jog thirty. Over and Over for thirty minutes! I was sweating like crazy, but that's to be expected. I would have loved to keep going, but my legs started to feel like tree trunks again.

I think next time, I'm going to stick to my routine, then the next week add in jogging for a minute at a time. I really don't know if I'll ever be conditioned enough to run for 5K, but who knows, stranger things have happened! I'll keep you posted.

I'd love for you to try this program along with me, where ever you are. If you do, let me know!

Happy trails!

No comments: