Sunday, October 5, 2008

I Love My Nephew

I'm simple amazed by the capacity of love I have for my nephew. Before he was even born, I loved him. The first time I saw him, I couldn't believe I could love someone so much whom I'd just met. Now, 22 months later, I love him more than I thought possible. He's my buddy. He surprises me at every turn. So smart!

He's learning to string words together, "Aunt Mer..... sit..... down..... please." Or "Book.... read... please..." I find myself having actual conversations with him. Or, at least, understand what he wants, rather than not that long ago, when he'd drag us around and point and grunt. Although, he still does that, but I say, "Please use your words so Aunt Mer can understand you." He'll usually just laugh at me. Crazy kid.

His capacity for growth and knowledge is utterly astounding. Not to mention the fact that his little person has a really funny sense of humor. This morning, we were at a bank opening in Warrior. I was keeping him busy (distracted) while my sister and brother in law were opening an account. Grant and I were walking around looking at different things, but what he loved most, was this fountain which flowed over a vertical piece of glass. (One side you could feel the water, the other was just the back side of the glass.) I, of course, knew this and wanted to see what Grant would think of the non-wet side. He tentatively pressed his hand against the glass, then smiled really big and said, "Mmmmmmmmmagic!" I have no idea where he learned that, but when things amaze him these days, he'll say, "Magic" (but always with the exaggerated M). So funny!

I had the pleasure of rocking and putting him down for a nap today. We read a few books, but I could tell he was exhausted and asked him if he wanted Aunt Mer to sing Jesus Loves Me. He said yes. I sing it with a different melody/music than the regular version and after a few verses, it always knocks him out. Today wasn't any different! You see, when he was a baby, my mom started singing "This Old Man" and he'd fall asleep within minutes. To this day, if anyone sings this, his eyes get droopy and he's out cold. Well, a year ago or more, I went on strike from This Old Man. I can't tell you how many times I sang that to him for nap time. I just couldn't sing it anymore. So, I started singing praise songs and it worked just as well.

After putting him down and turning on the baby monitor, I went outside and walked around to the front of the house and layed on the porch swing. I was so sleepy and could hardly function, so I decided to take a nap too. Today was so nice! Love fall! I woke up 40 minutes later, feeling more awake and refreshed! Though, my arm was asleep and I'd drooled, but that was bound to happen. ha

I veered away from my original intent, isn't that always the way? But I just wanted to share about my love for Grant. I'm sure you get tired of hearing about it, but as my dad would say, "Tough toe nails!" :)

No comments: