Saturday, March 22, 2008

VOTD: Sacrifice

In light of Easter weekend, I found this old VOTD I wrote on May 16, 2006....


"When he served as a sacrifice for our sins, he solved the sin problem for good--not only ours, but the whole world's." I John 2:2 [The Message]

While watching TV last night, I saw a commercial for LOST. (This might only make sense to those who watch? But stay with me, it’ll make sense in the end.) One of the main characters, Michael, has done some crazy things in recent episodes. Dumb-founded Jack asks why, Sayid says, "A father would do anything to save his son." That comment stuck with me.

The love of a Father is a powerful thing! Not being a parent myself, I can only imagine that unique bond. I know the love my parents have for me, often undeserved and unconditional. When I’m sick or hurt, they’d do anything to take my place. Which led me to think about the day Jesus died on the cross.

I don’t pretend to understand the Trinity, but Jesus is God’s Son. We always talk about what Jesus went through on the Cross, and rightly so. But let’s flip the coin, what did God, the Father, go through that day? To watch His only Son, tortured, for our sins. Can you imagine the sacrifice He went through on that day? I know He saw the big picture; He knew Jesus had to carry, literally, the weight of the world. Both Father and Son had extreme sacrifices that day! And for what? So that we might have the opportunity to spend eternity with them in Heaven.

That’s all that God gave me.

No comments: