Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Boyfriend Approved Tummy Yummy

I'm notorious for not being able to follow a recipe. When I was a little girl, my friend and I mistook salt for sugar and sugar for salt. Honest mistake, right? OK, how about the time, not that long ago, when I accidentally doubled an already doubled chocolate chip cookie recipe? Uhhh yeah, I gave away cookies to everyone I knew! All that being said, this recipe is VERY easy to follow, and quite tasty to boot! I hope you enjoy!


Southwest Chicken Bake

1 Taco Bell Original taco seasoning mix (Recipe calls for half a packet, but I found it better to use a whole one)
1 Lb. Boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 Tbsp. Kraft Light Zesty Italian Dressing
1 Cup canned no-salt-added black beans, rinsed (I used a 1 1/2 cans)
1/2 Cup Frozen Corn (I used two cans, drained)
2 Green onions, chopped
1 Cup Taco Bell Thick n Chunky Salsa (I used 2-16oz jars of Pace Medium Fire Roasted Red Pepper and Corn salsa. I didn't drain it, but should have.)
1/2 Cup Kraft Mexican style Finely Shredded Four Cheese (I used more cheese too as I basically doubled the ingredients)
2-2/3 Cups hot cooked long-grain brown rice (I used Uncle Ben's white rice, if it matters.)
**I recommend draining all liquids before layering them into the casserole dish.  I didn't so much, and my final product was a tad soupy.  

HEAT oven to 375 degrees.

ADD seasoning mix to chicken in medium bowl; toss evenly to coat.

HEAT dressing in large skillet on medium-heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 min. or until evenly browned. Scoop into 1-1/2 quart casserole; cover with layers of beans, corn, onions and salsa.

BAKE
20 min. Top with cheese; bake 5 min. or until melted. Serve over rice.
I actually cooked mine a tad longer, of course, I have a crazy oven.  I found that the black beans didn't get cooked in only 20 minutes and were therefore kinda crunchy; Jason liked them that way though.  Hmm, to each his own.  

Also, it stands to mention, as I completely forgot about it.  Don't forget to time the cooking of the rice.  The casserole was nearly completely cooked when it suddenly occurred to me.  No worries, all was not lost.  My sweet, starving boyfriend enjoyed the meal to the last bite; even my crunchy black beans!


Recipe taken from: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/southwest-chicken-bake-123144.aspx

No comments: