Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Main Thing

Happy New Year, Friends!  If you're like most of the people, the New Year brings "resolutions".  A desire to change a bad habit or more commonly, lose weight/work out.  However, I resolved not to resolve a year years ago.  I prefer it that way.  I still set goals for myself, but I hate that feeling of failure when I dissapoint myself over whatever I'd resolved. 

That being said, I was on the way home from my parent's the other night when I was lost in thought; reflecting and pondering over the past year.  I've been blessed in so many ways, but my heart still longs for what I don't have.  I was also wondering if I've done enough for Him; used the gifts He's given me to glorify Him.  I definitely feel like I need to do more; be more creative, write, paint, whatever.  I need to do more.  I need to put myself out there and allow Him to use me. 

During my conversation with myself, I had to stop for a pretty long train.  (I don't usually mind trains too much, unless I'm trying to get to somewhere and they just sit on the track or hardly move.  That's just annoying.  But this one was moving.)  Right as I stopped at the crossing, a song by Charlie Hall came on, "One Thing".  The real time analogy made me laugh.  God usually shows me lessons in ways I can't miss.

(If you're reading this on Facebook or by email, please click over to Strength in the Struggle to see the video.)


How often are we stopped at a crossroads in life unsure of what to do next?  What job should I take?  Should I date/marry this person?  Where should I move?  It's far too easy to get bogged down with questions of the 5 W's and 1 H (Who, What, Where, When and How). 

I suppose we're often like Peter, when he was walking on the water to Jesus. (Can you even IMAGINE what that was like??)  As long as his eyes were on Jesus, he was footloose and fancy free, but the second he got freaked out by the huge wave coming, he started to sink.  How much are we like Peter on a day to day basis?  I know I am; more often than I care to admit.  Why don't I trust the Creator (of everything) with my everything?  What gall to think that I know best!  Silly human. 

The thing is, life boils down to one thing (no pun intended):

"All of life comes down
To just one thing
And that's to know You oh Jesus
And make You known"

Someone once said, "The Main Thing is to Keep the Main Thing, the Main Thing."  Simple, but true.  If we keep Jesus the main thing in our life, everything else will fall into place.  This reminds me of a quote from "Elf":

Gimbel's Manager: Why are you smiling like that?
Buddy: I just like to smile, smiling's my favorite
Gimbel's Manager: Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite.
 
Don't be a cotton-headed ninny-muggins, make Jesus your favorite in 2010!  (Cheesy, I know!  But I think it's a memorable point?)

No comments: